FOX 47 - Top Stories
TOWN OF VIENNA, Wis. - An explosion at a manure digester near Waunakee caused a small fire Wednesday morning, but the fire has been contained and there were no injuries, officials said.
The explosion happened at about 8:20 a.m. at the facility in the 6300 block of Cuba Valley Road in the town of Vienna, Dane County Sheriff's spokeswoman Elise Schaffer said.
Schaffer said the digester had been emptied Monday. When workers started an exhaust fan Wednesday morning, they reported hearing a loud noise. The nylon inflatable cover at the top of the digester then burst into flames.
Waunakee Fire Chief Gary Acker confirmed that the gas explosion happened, and said it was caused by a malfunction inside the plant.
"There is no threat to the local community," said Leo Maney, project manager with Clear Horizons. "The digester will remain down until we are confident it can be restarted."
Milwaukee-based Clear Horizons owns and operates the digesters, which convert cow manure from farms into energy, Schaffer said.
The plant has had other malfunctions in the past few months, including two major spills of manure in the past year.
The $250,000 digester cover is considered a total loss, Schaffer said
Tonight on FOX 47
10:00am Green Bay Nation
10:30am Inside the Huddle
11:00am FOX NFL Sunday
12:00pm NFL on FOX: "Packers vs. Lions"
3:00pm NFL on FOX Post-Game
3:30pm Locker Room Live
4:30pm Today's Home Remodeler
5:00pm Burn Notice
6:00pm Bob's Burgers
6:30pm Bob's Burgers
7:00pm The Simpsons
7:30pm Family Guy
8:00pm Family Guy
8:30pm American Dad (FOX Finale)
9:00pm FOX 47 News at 9
9:35pm In Depth Sports with Graham Bensinger
10:05pm The Big Bang Theory
10:35pm The Big Bang Theory
11:05pm Mulaney: A Standup Guy
11:35pm Everybody Loves Raymond